Lawrence House Museum

Lawrence House Museum

Launceston’s Museum is housed in a fine Georgian house built in 1753, located in a street which John Betjeman described as “having the most perfect collection of 18th century townhouses in Cornwall”.

It is located in Castle Street, and was built by former Mayor Humphrey Lawrence. The property is owned by the National Trust, but is leased to the Town Council who are responsible for its maintenance and upkeep.

It’s a delightful local museum, and contains themed rooms on 3 floors & a wonderful garden with fine views, ideal for picnics on fine days.

Rooms feature local history, Launceston at war, a scale model of the old Southern Railway Station, a toy room with toys to play with and one dedicated to Launceston’s famous sons,: John Couch Adams, astromomer & discoveror of Neptune, Philip Gidley King, early Governor of New South Wales, Charles Causley, poet & broadcaster and William Wise, herbalist & plant collector.


9 Castle Street


PL15 8BA

Tel: 01566 773277